Document Scanning and Searching System
The system was designed to provide digital storage and management for scanned construction documents, plans, and drawings created by city municipalities and private companies. Scanned documents are registered in the system and assigned a number of parameters, including date, project ID, address, the owner of the building, category, document type, etc. The Web application created for this software enables users to search projects by any of these attributes on-line. Documents are recognized and stored in the PDF format.
The customer already had a software product which was quite successful. However, the solution became too heavy and outdated. They wanted to update the system to improve performance and search capabilities. The existing version of the software required an improved method for managing building cases and a possibility to assign several addresses to one building project.
The customer’s system was outdated and could no longer meet new requirements. It was decided to refactor the software to make it faster and easier to use. Analysis of the old database revealed a lot of bugs, logic errors, and overly complicated relations between objects. As a result, queries were processed slowly and the response time was too long.
To make the system more user-friendly, we had to migrate 250GB of data to the new database with a completely different table structure. The most challenging task was to arrange data in a more efficient way while preserving its full integrity.
We based the development process on the SCRUM methodology. The iteration approach enabled us to gradually add functionality while the customer could access intermediate results. The following improvements were implemented for this particular system:
- The UI was redesigned and a new navigation flow was implemented to provide quick access to the most popular functions.
- The logic of the administration dashboard was significantly improved; new user roles were added.
- Now all construction projects have different visibility statuses: public, restricted, or top secret. Users should have proper permissions to be able to see the projects with limited access.
- Statistics module was revised and updated: Users can view statistics for a particular period (e.g., last week, month, last year, or any custom period.)
- We added support for multiple addresses. Now it is possible to specify one address or add a location group for each project created in the system. If any changes are made in a location group, the system automatically updates all construction projects related to this particular locations field.
Altoros helped the customer to update their system and improve performance. The system got a new user-friendly design with all functions placed conveniently at hand. The search algorithm was enhanced. The large enterprise database can now process queries and find projects much faster.
Client Platform/Application Server
Apache Tomcat 7
GWT 2.4, Spring 3, Hibernate 4, AXIS 2, Infinispan 5.1, Apache Ant, Maven 3
Windows/Linux, Java7, Idea/Eclipse